Monday, February 27, 2012

It's a Wonderful Pond

As my maternity leave begins winding down, I have begun to stress over the non-sleep factor. I know, I know, I know...it doesn't last forever. Clearly you don't know me. I am a terrible sleeper! It sometimes takes me forever to go to sleep, I wake up at the drop of a hat (then it takes me so long to fall back asleep)....wahwah. Anyway, the past 3 days I have read the No Cry Sleep Solution and Babywise.


I'm not sure if I really fall into either camp. I think we will end up adopting a combination of the two and just hope for the best. If anyone has any input (the non-judgmental kind), I would gladly listen.

We aren't trying to get him on a schedule at all...just a bit more consistent in how much he eats and how often. He's kind of all over the place. Sometimes he wants 2oz, sometimes he wants 5oz, sometimes he takes a 2 hour nap, sometimes it's 30 minutes. I'm charting it and there doesn't seem to be pattern. Do you know how hard it is to get anything done? Leaving the house is almost a joke. I thought if I feed him and then immediately leave, he'll sleep...well, this only works some of the time, the rest of the time he screams. Then I thought I will feed him, then play (like normal), then take him when he normally would nap in his rotation of eat, play, nap...only works some of the time. Everyone just keeps giving me milestones...first it was 6 weeks (things will get better at six weeks), then it was 8 weeks (things will get better at 8 weeks), now it is 3 months (things will get better then). Coop is very close to 3 months, I'm pretty sure everyone is just saying those things to pacify me, lol.

So, we started to try to get Coop to be a little more consistent with eating and sleeping today. At one point this afternoon he woke up and was screaming his little head off. Mike tried to console him by turning on the sounds in the swing, one of which is basically all outdoorsy. Well, when it didn't console our little guy, Mike looked at Coop and said, "What? Come on Coop, It's a Wonderful Pond." I don't know why this made me laugh, but it did. Cooper didn't find it quite as amusing and just screamed louder...to which Mommy went and took a shower.

Don't get me wrong...things have DEFINITELY improved. I love him, sleep or not, screaming or not. He is soooo happy when everything is going his way...if I could just break his code so I know his expectation :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment