Wednesday, January 25, 2012

On the shelf

I don't remember being read to as a child. I don't mean as a baby, I mean ever. As a teacher, I have waaaaay too many books for my classroom. The ones that I don't let their little hands touch add up to over 1000 books. The books within my classroom that are mine probably add up to over 400. Books are extremely important to me.

When I finally began shopping for my little nugget, I eagerly began purchasing books. Little Coop's shelves are already full of books. Yes, I could just use the books that are stored in my basement that I use at school, but I want Cooper to grow up surrounding with books that are HIS. He won't ever have to worry about his favorite books being at Mommy's school.

One of my absolute favorite times in our day is at bedtime. I find two books from his shelf, swaddle him up tight, dim his lights, we sit in the MOST fabulous chair...(it is comfy, it reclines, swivels, and rocks)...
and then I read. He just stares at me with his big blues and then dozes off. I usually read one short story and one longer one. He's got a wide variety of books. I focused on board books, but I did buy some paperbacks from Scholastic.

The books that I am reading now are books that I truly love. So, I thought I would share and see if anyone would like to add to the list.

On the Night You Were Born
OMG...I would read this EVERY night if I could. I remember buying it and crying in the store. It has taken 6 weeks of reading this book aloud but I can finally get through it without crying. I love my little guy so much and believe the words to be true.
Wherever You Are: My Love Will Find You Guess How Much I Love You Goodnight Moon The Runaway Bunny The Going-To-Bed Book Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Chicka Chicka Boom Boom: Lap Edition Big Box of Boynton: Barnyard Dance! Pajama Time! Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs! Llama Llama Nighty--Night (Llama Llama Board Books) Baby Beluga   [BABY BELUGA-BOARD] [Board Books] What a Wonderful World (Jean Karl Books) How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?
The I LOVE YOU Book Where the Wild Things Are You Are My Sunshine The More We Get Together The Itsy Bitsy Spider (Board Book) Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star (Board Book)

I LOVE Sandra Boynton books for little ones! I can't wait to read all of Mo Willems, Dr. Seuss, and Eric Carle books to Cooper. This post proves you just can't take the teacher out of me!

I am saving these for when he is a bit older...
Baby's First Book of Prayers The Rhyme Bible Storybook

Fallible Mommy Moment: The first couple (that's right more than once) of times I had Coop all snug as bug in a rug, all milk drunk, and ready to go. We go into the room and I want to read the perfect books, but I don't have them picked out. The room is all dim, so I can't see any of the titles. Also, they are low to the ground so I feel like I'm gonna drop him. Safer to put him down and turn the lights a bit brighter. I put him in the crib, turn on the lights, and suddenly he's wide awake! Tip...choose the books prior to bringing baby in there and have them right next to the chair!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment